Chikmagalur Home Stay Amidst Coffee Plantation

 Chikmagalur is a district in Karnataka with a thriving coffee industry, where it is said that nearly 100% of the people are coffee farmers. Indeed, the district has the highest density of coffee plantations in India, amounting to around one hectare per person. The most popular variety of coffee is organic coffee, which is the most expensive coffee in the world. Many coffee farmers depend on the financial support of the government, which provides them with subsidies for their coffee cuppings.


A few months ago, while I was finishing my course on a popular course on Photography , I started looking at places on my bucket list. After a week, I had a list of a few places to visit. I decided to begin with my hometown which is Chikmagalur. I had been to Chikmagalur on a few occasions, but had never stayed at a Chikmagalur home stay.

In a recent trip to Chikmagalur, a 3-day home stay at the home of a local coffee farmer helped me understand the industry from a farmers perspective. It also gave me an opportunity to truly appreciate how the growing of coffee has changed the lives of the people of this part of the country.

We have a history of decrying the exploitative nature of home stays in coffee plantations in Western India, but when we realized that we can exploit the good nature of the people from our own home in the Chikmagalur region, we were not sure whether it would work or not.

https://riverwoods.in/chikmagalur-home-stay-amidst-coffee-plantation/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Coffee Cottage - Homestay in Chikmagalur

EXPLORE CHIKMAGALUR

Home Stays In Chikmagalur